April 26, 2011

I have many good fond memories going 
to our grandparents home after school. Our 
Grandma Mc Intyre would sit and play 
the piano and sang this song below. I 
always loved this song when I was a 
little girl. I loved hearing my Grandma 
sing it too, she always had this wonderful 
vibrato when she sang songs like this. 
I could sit there and listen for hours on end. 

This humorous song put a light-hearted 
spin on the difficult situation the young 
soldier boy experienced saying goodbye 
to his girl. Naturally it rose to No. 2 on 
the charts after it was released in 1918

"K-K-K-Katy"

   The Sensational Stammering Song...
Sung by the Soldiers and Sailors



Lyrics:
Verse 1:
Jimmy was a soldier brave and bold,
Katy was a maid with hair of gold,
Like an act of fate,
Kate was standing at the gate,
Watching all the boys on dress parade.
Jimmy with the girls was just a gawk,
Stuttered ev’ry time he tried to talk,
Still that night at eight,
He was there at Katy’s gate,
Stuttering to her this love sick cry.

CHORUS [sung twice after each verse]
“K-K-K-Katy, beautiful Katy,
You’re the only g-g-g-girl that I adore;
When the m-m-m-moon shines,
Over the cowshed,
I’'ll be waiting at the k-k-k-kitchen door.”



Verse 2:
No one ever looked so nice and neat,
No one could be just as cute and sweet,
That’s what Jimmy thought,
When the wedding ring he bought,
Now he’s off to France the foe to meet.
Jimmy thought he’d like to take a chance,
See if he could make the Kaiser dance,
Stepping to a tune,
All about the silv’ry moon,
This is what they hear in far off France.


CHORUS [sung twice after each verse]
“K-K-K-Katy, beautiful Katy,
You’re the only g-g-g-girl that I adore;
When the m-m-m-moon shines,
Over the cowshed,
I’'ll be waiting at the k-k-k-kitchen do



The other song that I remember was the Peanut Song, but I think my grandparents made up their own words to it. In fact I really thought my grandparents made up that song. lol But I actually found the song online! I couldn't believe it!!



Peanut Song

Peanut sitting on a railroad track
Heart was all a flutter
Along came a choo choo train
Choo choo
Peanut Butterrrrrrrrrrr
(Grandma always had that wonderful rrrrrrrr sound to it.
I guess she fluttered her tongue to make it sound so cool!) 



Those were the days and such Great Memories too!!

Did you have any good memories with your 
grandparents when you were younger? 

If so please share in the comment box on 
this blog only. Thank you.

No comments: